Congregation Shaarei Tefillah is a vibrant, medium-sized, Modern Orthodox congregation in Newton Centre, MA. We are seeking a highly-motivated self-starter who is tech-savvy and detail-oriented to become our Synagogue Administrator. The synagogue administrator will work with our Rabbi, accounting/payroll service and lay leaders to manage the daily operations of the synagogue. A successful candidate must be a well-organized, customer service-oriented person who can work well with a team, communicate easily with others, and help create and maintain a secure, welcoming synagogue environment in which congregants feel their religious, social and communal needs are being addressed in a positive manner.
Responsibilities: The synagogue administrator will be responsible for:
a. Interacting daily with congregants, staff, and congregants of the larger community
b. Managing the “front desk” (e.g., answering all calls to the main line, manage the front door “buzzed” entry and receiving all walk-ins)
c. Assessing and addressing all inquiries/requests and forward to the appropriate parties as deemed necessary. Provide timely responses.
a. Digital marketing: Weekly updating and maintenance of our synagogue website, creating and managing social media presence, sending emails to congregation on relevant programming.
b. Producing weekly synagogue announcements (reaching out to relevant stakeholders)
c. Updating and maintenance of synagogue databases and membership records
d. Managing synagogue mailings
e. Preparation of posters, flyers and ads for display in the synagogue, on the website, in social media, and to be used in email communication.
3. Calendar Management:
a. Maintaining the synagogue calendar including kiddush sponsorships, lifecycle observances, educational events, classes, holiday schedules, youth activities and visiting scholars.
b. Working with families on scheduling lifecycle observances (e.g., bnei mitzvahs, baby namings, weddings, etc)
c. Supporting annual process for congregant renewal
4. Facilities and office management:
a. Assisting with managing custodial contractor (including their schedule and coordinating set up for events) and overseeing ongoing building maintenance
b. Keeping track of and re-ordering office/janitorial/and food supplies.
c. Digitizing files and materials as necessary and building a repository for the information
5. Programmatic and administrative support:
a. Providing administrative support for specific synagogue programming
b. Providing administrative support to rabbi, lay leadership and committees
c. Managing all vendor contracts.
6. Financial and Membership Management
a. Coordinating with external contracted services, who handle our payroll and bookkeeping (A/P, A/R) functions; communicate with their representatives.
b. Coordinating donation process, interacting with donors, online system and with lay leaders to send acknowledgments for donations.
c. Processing check deposits and credit card payments. Process and file payroll packages and checks for signature.
d. Overseeing and ensuring timely and proper input of financial transactions into applicable programs, including dues, pledges, payments, and vendor invoices.
- Self-starter that takes initiative, identifies opportunities and problem solves on how to address issues.
- Project management skills – ability to manage multiple priorities at once and coordinate diverse stakeholders to meet tight deadlines
- Strong communication skills (both orally and in writing)
- Knowledge/understanding of synagogue functions, Jewish rituals, life cycle events, holidays & customs
- Computer skills, including, but not limited to, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google docs; experience with ShulCloud, or a similar membership management system, or track record of mastering new software.
- Basic financial literacy
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer service mentality
- Ability to work independently and also effectively in teams
- Organizational skills and high attention to detail
- Experience with digital communications, including social media, digital marketing, email management
- Must adhere to strict confidentiality, ability to recognize and handle confidential information in an appropriate manner.