The Executive Director (ED) is responsible for the overall management and day-to-day administration and operations of the synagogue. As a leading member of the staff team, the ED shares with lay leadership responsibility and oversight for personnel and human resources management, facilities management (including the safety and security of the building and all who enter it), and strategic planning. This is a full-time position with occasional nights and/or weekends (for example to attend Board Meetings, Religious Services and other Synagogue events, etc.). Along with the clergy, the ED serves as the “face” of the synagogue, internally to the membership and externally to the community-at-large. Accordingly, it is very important that the ED be able to easily liaise with staff, members, clergy and the community. The ED reports to the President and Board of Trustees.
Staff Management: Hire, supervise, train and evaluate performance of the office and maintenance staff to ensure the successful execution of their responsibilities and duties. Develop and maintain an efficient, professional and collegial organizational environment among congregational clergy, staff, volunteers and vendors.
Operations Management: Develop, manage, and oversee policies and procedures that ensure effective day-to-day operation of the synagogue including, but not limited to, facilities scheduling and use, membership recruitment and retention, maintenance of physical plant, property and equipment, as well as community relations.
Financial Manager: Have a strong understanding of non-profit financing and budgeting in order to help manage the synagogue’s finances including preparation and adherence of annual budget, oversight of income and expenses, dues collection and work with bookkeeper to maintain financial records.
Membership Management: Serve as an ambassador and advocate for the synagogue to both existing and potential new members. Maintain accurate records of synagogue members and produce reports as needed by clergy, staff and lay leadership.
Communications Management: Produce regular communications to synagogue membership and ensure accuracy, tone and appropriateness of website, e-mail, social media and printed communications.
THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR WILL:
• Oversee the personnel, finances, physical premises, and operations of the synagogue;
• Interact with and support synagogue members, affiliates, committees, trustees, volunteers and community organizations in furthering CBI’s mission as a center of Jewish life;
• Delegate both responsibility and authority as needed to optimize efficiency and output, while maintaining effective oversight to ensure task completion;
• Exhibit excellent written, oral, and presentation communication skills. Ensure high quality and accurate, communication;
• Maintain a high level of discretion when dealing with sensitive information;
• Project strong leadership skills to instill vision, creativity and enthusiasm;
• Be a “team player” and skilled communicator among lay leadership and all levels of staff;
• Have a working knowledge of Jewish religious practice, observance and traditions;
• Competently manage and be fully computer-literate and comfortable using the internet and social media, Microsoft Office, Google Drive and other appropriate synagogue technology such as Chaverware and ShulCloud.
• Work with an amazing and committed team of clergy, education staff and professionals. The CBI Team is dynamic, collaborative, and the right ED candidate will come into an environment with a strong team surrounding them.
• Have an exciting vision for the future, including new creative ways to incorporate technology into CBI’s programming.