American Friends of Magen David Adom (AFMDA) has exclusively retained Sterling Search, Inc. to find its next Director of Major Gifts, Southeast Region (DMG). The Director of Major Gifts reports into the Southeast Regional Director/National Director of Strategic Philanthropy for the Southeast Region and will be responsible for raising $3M from an established portfolio of wealth-screened and engaged prospects and donors.
AFMDA raises an impressive $40 million annually across 4 US regions. The Southeast region raised $12 million during 2020. AFMDA is a partner in the vital work Magen David Adom (MDA) does every day for Israel’s 9.2 million population by funding a wide variety of emergency vehicles, a new national blood center, critically needed medical supplies, and rigorous EMT training. AFMDA is among the fastest-growing organizations in Jewish nonprofit. AFMDA values its staff and encourages collaboration and professional development. Most recently when the CEO announced his departure, AFMDA recognized the excellent internal talent and appointed Catherine Reed, its Chief Development Officer, to become the new CEO in early 2021.
The Director of Major Gifts will be responsible for raising funds by utilizing a variety of strategies including face-to-face solicitations, parlor meetings and major events in their designated area that will encompass donor cultivation and solicitation and fulfillment events and raise AFMDA awareness. The Director of Major Gifts will identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major gift prospects to foster gifts at a minimum of five and six-figure gifts to achieve area goals.
Essential Job Functions:
• Directly solicit and close gifts from major prospects and maintain relationships through mail, phone, or in-person contacts; coordinate local mail campaigns; and ensure that required donor records are maintained;
• Identify, cultivate, successfully solicit and steward major gift prospects to foster five and six-figure gifts toward both the annual and capital campaigns;
• Organize and execute area fundraising events such as corporate and professional dinners, parlor meetings and special events to raise awareness and contributions for AFMDA;
• Create and lead a series of cultivation events and activities to engage and broaden the prospect pool at the leadership and major giving levels;
• Organize small events/parlor meetings and arrange one-on-one meetings to promote and successfully engage donors to participate in Legacy Giving program;
• Stimulate and develop effective lay leadership councils for participation in fundraising events and activities;
• Create budget plans to ensure a cohesive financial resources development plan in area;
• Cultivate and maintain community relationships and community outreach; identify potential speakers for activities and/or events;
• Develop young leaders/next generation donors and prospects in identified areas and develop programing to engage;
• Conduct donor research to identify prospects and support cultivation efforts;
• Participate in special assignments or projects as assigned;
• Frequent local and regional travel.
• Must have a strong knowledge of donor cultivation, donor services and solicitation and proven ability to solicit and close five and six figure gifts;
• High integrity and diplomatic skills to function within a complex international organization;
• Strong interpersonal skills and comfort in interfacing with donors;
• Must have excellent writing and verbal communications skills in English;
• Must have excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office and Internet) and comfort working with donor database programs, Raisers Edge preferred;
• Must be able to work strategically within a team structure as well as independently, multi-task and work under tight deadlines;
• Dependability, good time management and organizational skills and be attentive to detail;
• Proven experience in managing and implementing development programs;
• Experience with developing and maintaining productive working relationships with board members, donors, and staff; and
• Knowledge of Israel is a plus.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. American Friends of Magen David Adom’s management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
American Friends of Magen David Adom is an equal opportunity employer.