Job Title: Communications Manager
Employee Status: Exempt
Reports to: Membership and Engagement Director; Executive Director
Temple Rodef Shalom is a Reform Jewish congregation located in the Northern Virginia suburbs just outside Washington, DC. Since our founding in 1962, we have grown into the largest Jewish congregation in Virginia, serving over 1,700 households. In non-COVID times, we are bustling with activity: we serve 200+ families in our Early Childhood Center, nearly 900 students in our Religious School, and hundreds of people each week who walk through our doors to pray, sing, learn, connect, and mark life cycle moments.
The Communications Manager is responsible for supporting the synagogue’s overall communications strategy and online presence. S/he/they will act as the primary content manager, copy editor, and graphic designer for the organization. The Communications Manager will work closely with clergy, staff, and volunteers to prepare marketing materials and emails promoting programs, events, and the synagogue as a whole. This position requires the ability to work independently while coordinating and playing a vital role on the larger team.
• Aggregate content, design layout and manage the production of a printed monthly publication
• Aggregate content and send weekly Temple-wide e-letter
• Send all standalone and targeted emails on behalf of the temple
• Gather content and build monthly group-specific newsletters (Adult Education, Young Adults, Women’s group, Social Action)
• Manage content, design, and production of all holiday and special programming collateral
• Design graphics to be used across platforms and collateral (e-letter thumbnails and banners, standalone emails, monthly newsletters; building signage; Eventbrite banners; website sliders)
• Build and manage Eventbrite registration pages
• Maintain Communications Calendar
• Manage relationships with outside vendors and advertisers involved with TRS Communications
Other duties may be assigned.
Core Competencies and Required Skills and Abilities
We are seeking an organized and energetic self-starter who enjoys being part of a team and who can anticipate the needs of others. The following qualities are essential for success:
• Excellent writing and editing skills, and extraordinary attention to detail
• High emotional intelligence, ability to collaborate effectively with diverse personalities
• Self-motivated, proactive, comfortable working independently and taking initiative
• Comfortable prioritizing in a fast-paced setting, responding to last-minute changes and requests
• Comfortable with Microsoft Office and comfort or willingness to learn a range of other software (Adobe Suite, specifically Photoshop and InDesign, Robly, MM2000)
• An understanding of synagogue life, Jewish holidays, and customs is a plus
• Exceptional time management skills and ability to meet deadlines.
• Able to work at a desk for significant portions of the day
Minimum Education and Experience
Bachelors’ degree and 3-4 years related work experience (ex. Project management, Account Management, Graphic Design work and/or prior Communications roles)