Bet Am Shalom Synagogue in White Plains, NY is looking for an experienced Executive Director to join us in the next three months as Chief Operating Officer for the congregation, working in partnership with clergy, Education Director and lay leaders and supervising other staff, in support of the goals of the synagogue, and always in a manner that reflects our Jewish values.
Bet Am Shalom Synagogue is a vibrant, egalitarian, Reconstructionist Jewish congregation of families, individuals and children (400 households) who share a deep respect for tradition and believe in a thoughtful, progressive approach to Judaism. The creative spirit of our members fuels our community as together we pray, study Torah, share lifecycle events, support each other, educate our children and commit to repairing the world (tikkun olam). Our warm, highly participatory community is sustained by members’ financial commitments, wide volunteer engagement and our open, democratic decision-making process.
The Executive Director’s responsibilities include:
• Congregational/Lay Leadership Functions: Support President, Board and lay leadership to address diverse needs of congregants, volunteers and prospective members.
• Professional Collaboration and Support: Collaborate with Rabbi Lester Bronstein and Director of Family Education and Engagement Lisa Jacobs.
• Fiscal Functions: Manage all day-to-day financial operations and work closely with lay leadership to develop and follow budget.
• Development Support: Assist volunteer fundraising efforts and other revenue-based events/activities and grant writing.
• Staff Supervision: Recruit, manage and lead experienced office, bookkeeping and custodial staff team.
• Calendar Management: Develop and manage annual calendar with the Program Chair, Rabbi, and Director of Family Education and Engagement.
• Building Management and Security: Supervise Building Superintendent, oversee daily operations, building maintenance, rentals, capital projects, contractors and security.
• Communications: Review synagogue communications; oversee synagogue internet and email systems; support lay leadership in community outreach, marketing and public relations functions.
• Technology Management: Acquire/maintain/manage contemporary computer hardware, software and phone system for efficient office performance and effective congregational communication.
• Bereavement Support: Provide 24-hour support as needed (in conjunction with the Rabbi and President), including administration of synagogue cemetery sections, communications and lay shiva team response.
• High Holy Day Planning and Implementation: Provide comprehensive event planning and management
• Professional Networks: Participate in Executive Director Roundtable of Westchester Jewish Council and other relevant collaborative networks.
This is a full-time, on-site position, reporting to the President of the congregation. It includes regular business hours plus some evening meetings, occasional weekend events and flexibility in the event of emergencies.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree desirable
- Appreciation and knowledge of Jewish values, culture and tradition
- 7+ years relevant executive experience
- Superior interpersonal skills: ability to foster a warm, caring and respectful environment for congregants, prospective members and staff
- Strong financial, personnel management, IT and communication skills
- Excellent judgment, flexibility, congeniality; creativity, resourcefulness; well-organized, attention to detail, forward-looking and deadline-oriented.
- Knowledge of ShulCloud
- Experience with marketing/digital marketing a plus.
The search will remain open until the position is filled.